27 May 2009

Being 'Swissed'

My new term is called "Being Swissed." It can be used any time you think something is not worth anything and the Swiss want to charge you an arm and a leg for it. Here's how I was "Swissed" for the first time:

In Switzerland, apartments are turned over in near perfect condition. People pay companies to come in an clean every square inch of the place and make it spotless. All light fixtures need to be removed, and NOTHING may be left behind without strict permission - no curtain rods, no curtains, no colored paint, no nail holes, no nothing. Sterile, white, clean. It's the Swiss way.

So knowing that I was new to the country and really have absolutely nothing except clothing and suitcases, the current tenants offered to show me the apartment and some items they didn't need or thought they might leave behind. The list included 3 curtain rods, a little storage thingie for under the sink in the bathroom, an orange stripe around the children's room and two privacy things for the balcony. One was wood to separate our balcony from the neighbor's, and the other was cheap plastic tied to the metal railing to allow for a tad more privacy from other people looking in. I'm thinking it's all cheap stuff and I'm actually doing them a favor because they don't have to pay someone to remove them and patch the walls or paint etc etc.

As we are going through the apartment I soon learn that they intend to itemize everything and make me an offer and then I can pay them for it. And I'm thinking, hey wait, with me accepting this stuff, their lives are easier! They don't have to pay the apartment cleaner's as much. Less painting and no patching the walls where they remove the curtain rods.

Well, I guess this has nothing to do with it. What matters is that they paid A FREAKING LOT for this stuff and it is still worth A FREAKING LOT. So they can keep it all I said. I'd pay them a little, but no way I'd pay them what they thought it was worth. I can buy a couch or two with what they were asking.

And that, is being Swissed.

Everyone I've told this story to thinks they stole the curtain rods from the Louvre or something. Them must be some wicked nice curtain rods.

No comments: