12 July 2009

Cranky Expat Syndrome or the Expat Flu

Apparently, after a few weeks in your new home abroad, the excitement of the move and exploration phase of the city/country abated, the average expat enters a cranky, negative phase of life. The real comparison between the new place and the old home kicks in and disappointment can be found around every corner. We're there.

We're struggling through understanding what seems to be unfriendly, judgmental attitudes and behaviors of the locals. And, for good or bad, accepted a "screw you" mentality. If Noah is loud on the always very quiet tram, I think "good." When people don't step aside even though they see me struggling with a stroller and bags, I think, "Really? Really?"

The best advice I've found is to power through, look for the sunny side of the street, and find the happy parts of the new life. This can be a difficult daily task, but I'm beginning to see that there really isn't another option. I definitely don't want to waste the next year or two being upset or bringing that home to my kids. We may never have this chance again and who knows where it will lead. Why miss any of the sunshine, despite the 20% chance of rain that is here in Bern every day?

No comments: