17 December 2009

Lots going on ...

And our (my) newest find in the local bakeries is called the "Schenkeli" ... basically a twisted doughnut strip. Here presented for artistic purposes along with 2 Schoggi-Gipfeli.








But then again, there is also the Quarkini ... basically a doughnut ball. But softer. And rolled in sugar. Tough call. They are both very delicious.

Here's the thing - I'm going to brew a cup of coffee and eat them all.


We also successfully managed to birth a baby within the Swiss health care system (works just swell thank you very much), see a doctor about N's strep throat and get Alison's mom off back to the US.

I'd also post a long "how to" on navigating the US Embassy here in Bern but I think it would be some sort of security violation. Suffice it to say, 99% foreigners applying for visas. Single American (me) standing in "US Citizen" line blows their whole system. And the administrator to checks your paperwork ... mean. Not friendly AT ALL. And the bureaucrat who actually does the work ... TOTALLY NICE!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!

Ellen said...

Welcome to Switzerland - I'm also from Minnesota (Mpls.), but left in 1980, so I guess that hardly counts! You might like to check out the online daily newspaper GenevaLunch.com, which a group of us produce for the Lake Geneva region, but most of it applies to the rest of Switzerland. I'll be interested to follow the ups and downs (like the US Embassy experience, which exactly matches mine) of your new life in CH. - Ellen Wallace, editor, GenevaLunch